South Bellmore Veterinary Clinic has been a pioneer in the field of small animal veterinary care.
Serving Long Island and Queens
for over 65 years.
The hospitals founder, Dr. Robert Ferber developed his love for animals as a child by spending time in one of the many horse stables present in Flushing at that time. After graduating from City College in New York, Dr. Robert followed his dream to become a veterinarian. Upon graduating from the college of veterinary medicine in 1939 at Cornell University he opened the North Shore Animal Hospital in Bayside. In 1942 Dr. Robert closed the hospital to serve in the US Army Veterinary Corps. After finishing his tour of duty with the Army he re-opened the hospital in 1946.
- 1948The year of 1948 saw many changes as the hospital moved to its present location and Dr. Robert’s younger brother Leonard joined the practice after his service in both the Army and the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration.
- 1970In 1970, after graduating from the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell, Dr. Robert’s son, Dr. Alan Ferber joined the practice. After Dr. Robert’s retirement, in the mid 1980’s, Dr. Alan ran the practice until his retirement in 2004.
- 1980In 1980, Dr. Ronald Rosen joined the team at the North Shore Animal Hospital and is currently the senior partner. His interests include internal medicine, particularly feline medicine, co-authoring the book ‘So You Think You Know About Cats’. In addition, Dr. Rosen offers treatment in complimentary and alternative medicine.
- 1996In 1996, Dr. Michael Ferber graduated from the same prestigious College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell as his father, grandfather, and uncle. Dr. Michael’s primary interests include reconstructive surgery of the canine knee and ear.
- 1999Dr. Robert Foley joined the practice in 1999 and is the director of our sister facility, the South Bellmore Veterinary Group. His primary interests are internal medicine, dermatology and soft-tissue surgery.
- 2002In 2002 the partners of The North Shore Animal Hospital proudly opened up The South Bellmore Veterinary Group in Bellmore, NY. They are determined to bring their 65 year standard of excellence to the south shore of Long Island.
- 2010Dr. Ferber and Foley open the East Meadow Veterinary Clinic.